Wednesday, 7 July 2010

Fiery Trials

“Beloved, do not think it strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try as though some strange thing happened to you; but rejoice to the extent that you partake of Christ’s sufferings, that when His glory is revealed, you may also be glad with exceeding joy.”

At one time or another in our lives, we will all experience a “fiery” trial. Judging by the fact that Peter uses the term “fiery” to describe the trial which is to try me I can conclude that trials come in categories. I heard a teaching on this and it touched my heart so I wanted to expound on it.

So if some trials are fiery this must mean there’s some that are just smoky or barely alight; there’s big ones and there’s small ones. There are trials where you’ll feel like quitting and there’s others where you might not. My point being at least once in all our lives there will be a fiery trial.

Jesus said, “In this world, you have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.” John 16:33

He tells us to be of good cheer not because we can do it but because He has done it. He has overcome the world. We’re not meant to try and overcome our trials, we’re meant to take them over to Him because He can handle them. We always say, “I can’t take this anymore...” Well that’s because we weren’t made to take, we’re meant to take it over to Him who has overcome.

I can’t say I’ve ever been through a fiery trial until now. I’ve been through trials and I’ve wanted to quit before wondering if God really was with me and for me. But I have never been through anything like what I’m going through now. The heat is turned on and the fire is burning. The fire wants to consume me, it wants me to give up and be consumed and I have been so close to giving up but I know I can’t give up this Christian walk. I’m in it for better or worse and until death takes me to eternal glory. And even though I’m in the “worse” right now, I still know that my God is faithful and He is more than able to take care of me. I know the next few weeks, months are going to be intense but it’s helping me to stand firm on God. It’s helping me to constantly be in the Word and to constantly be on knees before Him.

Why do we have to go through trials anyway? Trials test our faith...

“...you have been grieved by various trials, that the genuineness of your faith, being much more precious than gold that perishes, though it is tested by fire, may be found to praise, honour and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ...” 1 Peter 1:6b-7

Why does our faith need to be tested? To reveal the genuineness of our faith. When our faith is tested we begin to realise the things we believe without a shadow of a doubt and we also begin to see the things we doubt. And it’s through fiery trials that we learn to depend on God more. We learn to come to Him on bended knees, in absolute surrender.

Jesus, You’re drawing me closer to You in all this so I’m trusting that You’re working all things together for good. And God, even though situations may seem bleak, You promise to make roads in the wilderness and rivers in the desert. I fully submit myself to Your authority and Your will which has led me here and I ask that You would now change my heart and strengthen my heart and keep my eyes fixed on You and not on my circumstances.

“My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience...” James 1:2-3



No comments: