Saturday, 6 February 2010

A little love goes a long way

So the past couple days have been pretty rough for me. I often think I'm a very confrontational person but honestly I don't deal well with confrontation. For some reason it makes me want to curl up into a ball and die. But I've had to deal with some confrontation some direct and some very indirect. As much as I don't really like confrontation, I do appreciate honesty. I think we all appreciate honesty. It's the type of thing that makes us feel valued as a human being when people are honest with us and it has the opposite effect when people aren't honest with us.
Anyway to stop this being long-winded, the Lord just showed me over these past couple of days some things that need to change in my own heart. Change begins in my heart; true change anyway. Many things begin in the heart; many things end in the heart... my heart is the wellspring of my life (Proverbs 4:23)... all of life's issues and tissues flow from my heart and if it's not guarded, I fall apart. And I did almost fall apart BUT GOD was the strength of my heart when it seemed as though everything was crumbling around me and He held me together with His arms of love.
After a rough few days I went to work yesterday. 3 days a week I look after 4 ladies and support them in their day to day activities. One of the ladies I look after has Down's Syndrome and I'll just call her "Susie" to protect her identity. But she was poorly today and she couldn't even get out of bed. I went into her room this morning to see how she was doing and I gave a little cuddle. Then she took my hand and said to me, "I love my Buhe. All I want is my Buhe." As you can imagine I just started crying. I not only realised how much she just needed some love and attention at that point but the striking parallel to our relationship with Jesus.
Jesus is always there for us, always holding out His hand to us, waiting for us to grab it and cling to it with all our might. He wants us to say "I love my Jesus. All I want is my Jesus." This little moment in time captured my attention and made realise that that is the way I should be reaching for Jesus through every season of life... not just when it's hard. "All I want is my Jesus."

No comments: